Tuesday 16 November 2010

Single Plan of Care - Fall Video of Ashley's Progress

Today my husband and I attended Ashley's Single Plan of Care team meeting. It is always amazing  to me to see just how many people help and care for my little girl.

 Ashley's  making great progress across the board  in communication she is reaching for her picture cards rather then using eye gaze, she making lines on the page now and holding a pencil better compared to just dabbing with the marker last year,  she is doing some feeding with a spoon and fork at times, and slowly and steadily progressing with her  motor skills.  I prepared this video to show her team how much work she is doing outside of school in therapy have a look.  I'm so proud of her.


Photo and video editing at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Ashley's fabulous Team!


Yesterday Ashley also received her PODD!


Ashley also was given this new voice a communication book... pretty impressive and it has to travel with her at all times.  A lot of thought was put into this and we are going to do out best to help her learn to communicate with it.  It has many sections to give her lots of reason to talk to us.


fyi PODD is a Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display
This book isn't exactly Dynamic like the Dynavox or iPad but hopefully if she learns this system well an iPad will be in her future.  Someday she will be giving speeches just like Stephen Hawkings!   Wish me luck this task is just a bit overwhelming to say the least but I can't let her down and her voice is so valuable. 

9 comments:

Jason's mom said...

You're so lucky. I still haven't got my PODD yet. But I jumped ahead and got my iPad for Jason. The app MyTalk is very much like a digital version of the PODD. But since its not possible yet to let him carry it to school, I decide to give the no-tech version a try first.

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

Wow that is a great tool! The things Ashley will be able to tell you with this will be amazing! I can't wait to hear how it is going.

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

Sherry, I'm SO excited for you!! I can't tell you how much Ashley reminds me of Scooter! Your video brought back so many memories for me! I know you're so excited at every single bit of progress she's making. And to think that it gets even better is so incredible! :)

Go Ashley!!

BusyLizzyMom said...

What a great video. She is doing so well at CME, I feel so strongly that it is the key to walking independantly.
That is so nice that all her team members were able to meet and discuss her.
I met a girl last week who used a Dynavox and it was amazing to hear her share her opinion with the Doctor she was seeing.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a mom of a 16 yr. old son who when given his diagnosis of 14 Q deletion syndrome a number of years ago. At the time it was thought and I was told his diagnosis was unique to him and there was no precedence as to what to expect long term. He is doing quite well in spite of all the challenges faced his entire life. One thing that made a huge impact in all aspects of his life was taking gluten out of his diet. I can't tell you the differences that occurred on so many different levels. I can see you are a wonderful advocate for your daughter and that is the biggest gift we can give any of our children. May God continue to bless you and your family, Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Patty
P.S. Today I decided to google the syndrome for the first time in quite a while. I wish I had done so earlier & I would have been able to offer you the encouragement that I myself wished had been available to me.
I'm having a difficult time sending this post, so I'm trying the anonymous choice. That being said, my email is: suesuejpmerlo@gmail.com

Kara said...

Ashley is just beautiful - she reminds me so much of my own daughter. (Thank you for your comment on my blog - many many months ago! Unfortunately, blogging has taken a back seat to kindergarten, work, marriage and all the rest!)

I look forward to making time to read your blog and learn more about your amazing little girl.

The Henrys said...

Amazing video of an amazing little girl! What a hard worker she is!

Good luck with the communication system. We have been trying to get a Vantage Lite for my daughter for months now. It can be a lot of work, but is is so worth it!

Melissa Miller said...

I am so impressed at how far Ashley has come. What a girl; what a mom!
M

Ann Marie said...

Hi. I'm stumbled across your blog while searching for communication devices....I think. Anyhow, I'm glad I did. You little girl is beautiful. I have a daughter, Abby, who has Rett Syndrome. It seems that they share many of the same struggles, including the need for a communication device of some sort. We are just starting the process of trials, so I'm trying to read up on what's out there. Best of luck to you. Hope you find a great match for your little one!
Ann Marie
www.abbymariemcdermott.blogspot.com