Wednesday 21 April 2010

The school loves my girl

Ashley with her amazing EA



My heart is aching a little after reading another blog post  at Roostercalls. for kids that are not accepted and loved for who they are.

I feel so blessed that my beautiful girl Ashley is so totally loved by her teacher, educational assistance (EA) and all 16 children in her class.  Her early interventionist had a classroom visit with her earlier this week and stopped by afterwards to report that in all her years with EIS she has never seen a better teacher and EA.  She has visited many a classrooms over the years and was just totally blow away by how wonderful Ashley class is for her.  At her visit  the children all wanted to sit by Ashley at circle time,  they  have to take turns to  play with her during centre time.  They have picked her to be their partner when given the opportunity to take a friend to the office to drop of the attendance.  I need to allow plenty of time for drop off and pickup because they all gather around to say good morning and good-bye to my sweet girl. They ask me  if Ashley's is going to the park after school and if they can have a play date with Ashley.    Ashley's peers just adore her  just as she is,  she communicates with smiles and bright eyes rather then words and she is accepted.   She walks with assistance or a Kaye walker and spends time in her Otto bock (wheelchair) but they see a friend not a chair.   Today in class they watched a signing times video and many kids in the class where showing Ashley and I new signs as we left.  I can't help but smile when I leave her classroom.

Her teachers focus on her achievements and are optimistic about what she can do. The never once mentioned her limitations.  They find solutions rather then problems. Most of all they just love and accept her and so do her peers. I'm just so thankful to her teachers and  friends.


4 comments:

Michelle said...

That is awesome, Sherry. This brings tears to my eyes!

Alicia said...

Wow, Rooster Call's story made me cry. This is what I am so afraid of when Marissa enters school. It is so unfair when adults who should know better allow their prejudices & intolerance seep into their kids. More than unfair, it's just not right!

My heart is warmed reading the words you wrote about Ashley and her school. I am so happy she is accepted and loved by her school and classmates. That is how it should always be.

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Glad she is loved by her teachers & the kids. She looks to be a lovable little girl!

M. said...

Hi, my first time here, what a cheerful looking and inviting blog! Love the wallpaper and generous use of photos.

Was great to see the pic of Ashley's EA - she was also my middle boy's EA, and was very nice to him also. She is a credit to the school.