Friday 17 February 2012

Ice Skating - So nice to be included!!

This morning I accompanied Ashley on a winter outing with her grade one class she went Ice Skating.  It felt wonderful to be there with her on the ice.   I  recall  when she was just two sending her older brother off to skate with his grade one class feeling sad that Ashley may have to miss out on such  fun.

Five years later and my outlook is so different.   I really see many doors opening for Ashley as long as we plan there is always a way to participate.  Ashley's wonderful grade one teacher and school therapist arranged for a sledge and  Ashley was on the ice and enjoyed herself so much.  Her friends were happy to see her there and a few asked  why she wasn't on skates.    That would be something I'd love to see one day too and I think is possible perhaps a seated walker and some skates.   I love how the other kids see her doing it all.   Go Ashley Go!!!!



4 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so awesome that she was able to go on the ice! I will take this idea and use it for my daughter too. Thank you for posting :)

BLOOM - Parenting Kids With Disabilities said...

WONDERFUL! I think Ben would like that. It always bothered me that he couldn't skate. Thanks for sharing!

Oatie - IWillSkate on Ice said...

Oh Sherry, the photo has really made my day! and YES there is a seated walker which would probably work for Ashley!

And it's only down the road from you in Buffalo... it's where I got Oatie's walker.

look at :- http://glidingstars.org/

Elizabeth is the lady who runs it and fits kids for their equipment, I can't say enough about this lady but she is AMAZING! via email and a video link she looked at his feet and his gait... and then decided which walker would be best and when we went she fitted the special skates for Oatie, she has 3 custom pairs which are all the same price as an ordianary skater skates... and they are handmade by Riedell.

The quality of the walker is brilliant... strong sturdy not too heavy and perfect for us,,, there is one like Oaties but with a sling seat... so I would guess that would be the best for Ashley...

If you time your visit right you can get fitted and go out on her saturday ice session where they give you all the support and know how how to do it at home.

Go and have a look Ashley could be on her feet too!

Love

Mel
xxx

Melissa Miller said...

I love that her classmates did not assume she wouldn't be skating. That was inclusion does: it opens our eyes to possibilities.