Wednesday 23 July 2008

My bookshelf

Today i added a bookshelf to my blog since for the last year or so I've become very interested in reading books by other parents who have raised children with special needs. As well as books related to my daughters issues such as feeding and speech. I also love books on Autism even though Ashley doesn't have this diagnosis. These books have given me hope, inspired me to be a Super Mom and reminded me that I'm not the only one dealing with all this. Here's a few books I'd like to recommend to anyone on this journey.


14Q32 Ashley by Roni Gawdin

This wonderful book was written by a dear friend of mine. Her daughter also named Ashley who is now 15 years old has a similar diagnosis as my little girl. She has been on quite a journey she is an amazing mother and tells a very touching story of her daughters first 12 years or so. Her book is very open and honest. Happy and sad all at the same time. This book is available at http://www.lulu.com/content/750016

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge


This books discuss the pasticisty of the brain and it's ability to meet both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they've transformed—people whose mental limitations or brain damage were seen as unalterable. We see a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, blind people who learn to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, stroke patients learning to speak, children with cerebral palsy learning to move with more grace, depression and anxiety disorders successfully treated, and lifelong character traits changed. Using these marvelous stories to probe mysteries of the body, emotion, love, sex, culture, and education, Dr. Doidge has written an immensely moving, inspiring book that will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.

The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs by Denise Brodey


This is book is very honest..reminded me that things could be a lot worse which is oddly comforting at times. Loved the section on finding the best school for your child. Very inspiring for me since I'm already preparing for Ashley's IEP meeting and she is only 3 just a wee bit proactive or maybe anxious is a better way to describe it.

If anyone has any books the would like to recommend to me .. please do post a comment. Bloggers love comments you know. And I'm currently book crazy and received a Chapters gift card for my birthday thanks mom your the best. I'm thinking about purchasing Jessica Seinfeld cookbook as i really want to get veggies into James but i have a feeling I'll end up in the Special Needs section.

No comments: